Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT Bristol Rovers 1 Oxford United 0

Marquis goal beats the U's. Full time report

13 August 2022

Match Reports

REPORT Bristol Rovers 1 Oxford United 0

Marquis goal beats the U's. Full time report

13 August 2022

A John Marquis goal gave Bristol Rovers a 1-0 win at the Memorial Stadium today as Oxford United found the Gas just too hot to handle.

Karl Robinson's side more than matched the home team for much of the game, with more possession and more chances created, but could not find a way to goal in a second away game of the season that might have gone either way.

With Cameron Brannagan and Marcus McGuane controlling the midfield, United started almost as brightly as the midday sun that slowly roasted their magnificent away support on the open terrace, and for the first quarter in particular they looked to be in control.

Brannagan had the first shot of the match, Marcus Browne ran the channels and caused chaos and had Sam Long nodded a corner an inch lower rather than onto the bar after 15 minutes, then few would have argued with United being ahead.

Instead, United went off the boil and were grateful to Simon Eastwood for a flying save from Sam Finley a minute later as the Pirates grew into the game. They took the lead on 35 with a cleverly worked free kick that saw Finley scamper in behind the defence, Aaron Collins clip the ball across and marquee signing Marquis left with a simple finish for his first Rovers goal.


Tempers rose with the temperature and there was a feisty edge to the game from then on.

The otherwise excellent James Henry really should have equalised soon after the break but got his angles all wrong to head a superb Matty Taylor cross off target with only the keeper to beat, United's best chance of the 90 minutes.

Billy Bodin drilled a low effort straight at keeper James Belshaw soon after, but United hadn't quite recovered their earlier swagger and Lewis Bate, Tyler Goodrham and debutant Kyle Joseph were introduced to try and help them get back on track.

Joseph, tall and athletic, raised the energy levels and United rallied with Bate playing just behind a front three for the final 20 minutes. Chances dried up though as the home side killed the game off and largely kept the ball away from danger, sub Ryan Loft surprisingly not getting enough elevation on a late chance to end the contest as he raced clear on Eastwood's goal.

Credit to both teams in such temperatures, far from easy, but United now need to rehydrate, recover and go again as they start a run of three home games, beginning against Lincoln City on Tuesday evening.

Att: 8,297
Away: 885

Report by Chris Williams, pictures by Steve Daniels, Steve Edmunds and Darrell Fisher, stats by OPTA

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match