Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Women Beat Portsmouth

Last gasp U's beat Pompey

15 April 2019

Oxford United Women secured a dramatic late win over Portsmouth Women to get themselves back to winning ways at Court Place Farm on Sunday afternoon ending a four-match winning streak for the visitors.

Georgia Timms put United ahead from the penalty spot early in the second half only to see her goal cancelled out a few minutes later when Katie James fired a brilliant free kick into the roof of the net from distance. Emily Allen was again the hero for United after she volleyed a brilliant Flo Fyfe cross past Hannah Haughton in the Portsmouth goal.

United started strongly and looked to take the game to Portsmouth despite the visitors recent good run. Early efforts from Timms and Fyfe flashed wide before Ellie Noble saw her effort come back off the post after a wonderful flowing move down the U’s left found the midfielder on the edge of the area.

United looked comfortable despite not being able to find the breakthrough, but Portsmouth always looked dangerous from set pieces and nearly made United pay right on the stroke of half time as Oxford’s back line failed to deal with a long ball and conceded an unnecessary corner. Oxford were able to clear their lines, but went into the break with a strong reminder of the danger the visitors posed.

It took just four minutes from the restart for United to find the breakthrough after Rebekah Tonks brought down Timms as she raced into the box. After consultation with his assistant the referee awarded the penalty. Timms stepped up herself, sending Haughton the wrong way and finding the bottom corner. A deserved lead for the home side.

It was a lead that wasn’t to last long though and it was a set-piece that was to be Oxford’s undoing as James riffled in a free kick from 35 yards to put Portsmouth right back in it. Now with their confidence high, Portsmouth started to impose themselves on the game and forced Lucy Thomas in the Oxford goal into a number of stops.

The game looked to be destined to end in a draw, but the last few weeks have shown that Oxford United teams won’t give up until the final whistle and the Women’s side are no different. The clock ticked into time added on as substitute Williams layed the ball off to Fyfe out on the left wing. Fyfe struck a perfect crossfield diagonal which found the on rushing Allen who calmly volleyed past Haughton to spark great celebrations for the home players and fans.

Oxford United will be back at Court Place Farm next Sunday, as the away side when they face Oxford City in the Final of the Oxfordshire Women’s County Cup (21st April, 2pm), before their final home league match of the season against Cardiff City on Tuesday evening (23rd April, 7:45pm).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match