Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: U18s Come From Behind To Beat Yeovil

Second half comeback preserves youngster's good form

9 November 2019

Second half goals from Callum Crook, Adam Smith, Leon Chambers-Parillon and Viktor Milton saw United youngsters come from behind to win 4-1 at home against Yeovil Town in the Youth Alliance League.

United started brightly and created plenty of chances in the first half. Connor Ferguson had the game’s first shot on goal but his effort deflected into the hands of the Yeovil goalkeeper.

Michael Elechi did well to bring the ball forward from fullback and his excellent cross found the head of Tyler Goodrham, but the youngster’s shot was deflected wide. The young U’s continued to control the game and had the majority of possession as they looked for the opener.

Two corners in quick succession almost changed this as centre half Viktor Milton flicked an effort wide from the first before Lopes found the ball at his feet from the second but could only poke an effort into the hands of the Yeovil goalkeeper.

The U’s found a lot of space in the wide areas cross after cross made it a very difficult first half for Yeovil. The U’s had a penalty shout on 25 as Stevens burst into the area with a defender at his heels all the way. The forward did well to get a shot away but could only see his effort roll wide.

It was one-way traffic for the U’s and in quick succession the side created their two best opportunities of the half. Lopes went through one-on-one with the Yeovil stopper but could only see his shot saved before Stevens headed against the post just before half time.

United were left rueing their missed chances shortly after the restart as Yeovil grabbed the opener. A corner was only half cleared by the United defence and Yeovil grabbed the opener as they scrambled in at the second attempt. Work to do for United who despite controlling the first period found themselves a goal behind.

In a bid to freshen things up going forward, on came Smith who grabbed the winner midweek in the FA Youth Cup for Ferguson. The U’s continued to mount the pressure as Yeovil sat back and Leon Chambers-Parillon and Tyler Goodrham both went close with good strikes but it was Milton who had the best chance to level the game. Goodrham found the centre half free at the back post but his header was cleared off the line.

Callum Crook came on for Barnett-Grant as the U’s searched for an equaliser and the change paid off 15 minutes from time as the U18s top scorer flicked in the equaliser. Goodrham swung in a terrific cross from a freekick and Crook was on hand to fire in. United didn’t stop there either. Two minutes later the comeback was complete as Smith headed in United’s second to turn the score on its head and give the U’s the lead they deserved.

United had the last say five minutes from time as Chambers-Parillon put the game beyond doubt with a header from close range before Milton rounded off the scoring in the 90th minute for United's fourth to ensure the U18s continue their strong form.


UNITED: Evans, Gardner, Elechi, Sole, Milton, Barnett-Grant (Crook), Goodrham, Chambers-Parillon, Lopes, Stevens, Ferguson (Smith)

Unused subs: Edwards, Grant, Niemczycki

Advertisement block