Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

United 2 Yeovil Town 0

29 August 2015

Match Reports

United 2 Yeovil Town 0

29 August 2015

Oxford United's unbeaten start to the league campaign continued with a comprehensive win over Yeovil Town at the Kassam Stadium today. The U's were on top in every department and a 2-0 win didn't tell the full story as goals from Danny Hylton and Callum O'Dowda handed the Glovers a lesson.

There was a familiar look to the U’s both in terms of line-up and style as they tore into the visitors from the very start. Some bright interplay set  Hylton free for a shot from the edge of the box after just four minutes that keeper Artur Krysiak held comfortably. The keeper then did well to block George Baldock’s effort on six, with Kemar Roofe seizing on the rebound but seeing his shot deflected wide. 

Penned back in their own half, Yeovil offered little in attack in the first half and were behind after 13 minutes to a beautifully crafted goal. Rose saw the chance to win the ball back as Yeovil dawdled on the edge of the area. Alex MacDonald took the ball up and sprinted left to right across the box before playing a perfectly timed pass for O’Dowda on the right. Krysiak covered the shot but the winger clipped the ball across instead and Hylton hung to head a powerful header down and into the net to make it 1-0 with his fourth of the season. 

After scoring the first goal for the first time this season, the Yellows were in total control of the match although the early tempo just dropped in the middle third of the first half. There was one excellent move on 32 which began with an exquisite ball from Mullins that Roofe controlled before teeing up Hylton for a shot that flew to safety from the heel of a defender, who knew nothing about it, but United had dominated and were well worth their interval lead.

The only criticism was that at 1-0 the visitors were still in the game and the second half saw United continue to make great chances without being able to extend their lead. O'Dowda had a shot beaten away at the base of the right-hand post, Roofe twisted inside the box but couldn't beat Krysiak, and Sercombe might have scored as he reached a fine MacDonald through ball but but instead screwed his shot wide. It didn't matter.

It took until 75 minutes for the second, killer, goal and it was little surprise that the non-stop running of Hylton paved the away. Superb throughout, even finding time to book the ref when he dropped his yellow card, Hylton found the energy for a twisting run deep into the box and sent the ball across Krysiak. O'Dowda had gambled and was perfectly placed to poke home from close range and remove any doubts as to where the three points were heading.

There was still time for Roofe to plant a shot straight at Krysiak from eight yards and smash a long-range effort against the bar but the fans had loved it and there was an ovation at the final whistle once again.

Another exhilarating performance full of vibrant attacking play. On the club's Retro Day teams from United's rich history would have been very proud. 

Att: 6,018
Away: 437
Fifty/50 winning number:  400379 wins £1,124

Report by Chris Williams, Pictures by Steve Daniels, Stats by Opta
See Extended Highlights and reaction in Yellow Player

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match