Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT Wycombe 2 Oxford United 3

3 April 2015

U's win at Wycombe. Full time report

Two goals from Kemar Roofe and one from Danny Rose gave United an excellent 3-2 win at Wycombe this afternoon. United's two wide men gave the U's a vital three points despite goals from Paul Hayes and Aaron Holloway in a dramatic Good Friday clash played at frantic pace.

The unchanged U’s needed Ryan Clarke to be at his best to deny Hayes’ header and avoid going behind in the second minute but then settled and turned in as good a performance as they have put in all season. 

Roofe raced half the length of the pitch only to be denied by a fine late tackle by Joe Jacobson at full stretch but with Hoban and Hylton tireless and the midfield supporting they weren’t to be denied for too long.
Roofe has pace and tricks and on 11 minutes added goals to his armoury as the U’s took the lead. Rose did brilliantly on the left to touch the ball past his man and work enough room to whip a magnificent ball into the dangerous area between the retreating Wycombe back line and keeper Matt Ingram. Roofe, arriving at the far post, gleefully side footed home to make it 1-0 and spark great scenes of celebration in the away end. Raising the roof indeed.

On 21 the roles were reversed and United were 2-0 up. This time it came down the right as Roofe raced through and reached the ball just before the dead-ball line. At pace the on-loan West Brom man cut the ball back for Rose who had drifted in from the left and was perfectly placed to side-foot home his first league goal of the season. 

It has been a season of change at the U’s and four consecutive first league goals from different players highlights that, but this set of players has started to hit its stride and for 45 minutes they had dominated a side who have been in the promotion places all season. Sam Wood fired across goal but wide of the mark on 37 but the U’s had been clinical, concise and confident and fully deserved their half-time lead.

They knew the Wanderers would come at them strongly after the break but should have extended their lead when Hylton unselfishly chose to cross when clean through, and they were made to pay for that when Alfie Mawson headed a deep cross back across goal and the evergreen Hayes tapped home from three yards out.

It was frantic, enthralling stuff and for the first time United had to soak up pressure as the Chairboys started rocking. The next goal was crucial and amid joyous scenes it went the way of the U’s. The irrepressible Rose kept the ball alive on the left and cheekily clipped the ball forward for the non-stop Hylton. His cut back was perfect for Roofe and as Hoban dragged defenders towards the near post Roofe cracked the ball low and hard and United were 3-1 up.

It was now a case of seeing things through and securing three points but Wycombe weren't finished yet and on 86 it took a great reflex save from Clarke as a swerving shot from sub Holloway threatened to send him the wrong way. Two minutes later and Holloway was on hand to slot home at the back post to make it 3-2 and with six minutes added on it was a tense finale to a tremendous game of football.

United held firm and made it successive wins in the league as well as at Wycombe. A brave performance in front of 1,600 delighted away fans. 

Monday is Supporters Day as the U's welcome York City to the Kassam Stadium. Be there.

Att: 6,892
Away: 1,571

Report by Chris Williams, Pictures Darrell Fisher, Stats by OPTA
See video reaction and Highlights in Yellow Player

Advertisement block