U's back new campaign for over 50s
Oxford United Football Club are delighted to announce that the club will be supporting Generation Games this Saturday afternoon as we welcome Chesterfield to the Kassam Stadium.
Generation Games is a new, exciting project which aims to get the over 50s in Oxfordshire doing more exercise, making new friends and having more fun in their everyday lives.
Scientific and medical facts show that regular exercise once you pass 50 will reduce your risk of all of the following:
- Heart disease by 30%
- Cancer by 25%
- Diabetes by 25%
- Dementia by 27%
- Stroke by 30%
By exercising on a daily to weekly basis you reduce the risk of developing arthritis, impotence, back pain and osteoporosis. By interacting with other groups of similarly aged people and taking part in exercise, problems such as depression are also improved.
Through the fantastic work that Generation Games do members within Oxfordshire can benefit from:
• A personalised activity plan based on exercise preferences and current capabilities depending on what members feel able to participate in, and matched to what’s going on in the local area.
• Access to a database of all the existing sports and activities aimed at and available to the over 50s in Oxfordshire, from the well-known (like gyms and swimming pools) to the less well-known (how about morris dancing?).
• Help to set up new activities in areas where they are needed due to sport and physical activity possibly not being available in that area for over 50's previously, and also to make sure that any activities that are set up are self-sustaining.
• A monthly email will be sent out to members giving news and updates on health and well-being.
• Support will now be provided for those who find attending activities especially difficult, for example with transport or physical mobility or with making sure that an activity is culturally sensitive.
• Coming along in this summer, a specially created home exercise DVD for those who prefer to exercise in the private of their own homes or who have restricted mobility.
As it develops further, and more people join in within the local area, Generation Games will become a community, with its members able to offer support to one another in and outside of activity groups.
To join Generation Games complete a simple questionnaire online at www.generationgames.org.uk
or phone the helpline at 01235 849403