Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

06 October 2020 Venue The Kassam Stadium Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League Trophy

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

PREVIEW Oxford United v Bristol Rovers

Clean bill of health as U's prepare for Trophy

6 October 2020

Oxford United have a clean bill of health as they prepare to face Bristol Rovers in the EFL Trophy tonight.

The entire first team squad and staff were covid tested yesterday and all results returned negative, and with the stadium given a deep clean the game goes ahead with a 7pm kick off.

Sam Winnall, Josh Ruffels and Alex Gorrin are all on track to return for the trip to Gillingham on Saturday but tonight may come slightly too early.

John Mousinho is back out on the pitches and training but remains unavailable while youngsters Nico Jones, Michael Elechi and Kyran Lofthouse were all tested yesterday and are included in the squad

Hear James Henry and Karl Robinson looking ahead to the game in iFollow right now.


Bristol Rovers boss Ben Garner is likely to make changes to his side tonight:

“This month we’ll play eight games in 28 days, so the whole squad is going to be needed during this period,” the manager told Bristol Live. “There’s opportunities for some players to play Tuesday that have trained well and deserve that opportunity. I also think it’s a competition where we’re keen to blood one or two of our youngsters as well.

“Oxford are a good side and that was proven last season by reaching the play-off final,” They play a certain way generally and they’re very good at doing it. They’ve got some very good technical players with also some good experience and proven players at the level. People like James Henry and Matty Taylor, who obviously the Gasheads will know well.

“In terms of their team, I’m not so sure because their game was obviously called off on Saturday. Whether that will impact what Karl looks to do with his team, we don’t know. But we go there with full respect for them and look forward to the game.”

A reminder, if needed, that the game is behind closed doors and we once again ask all fans to respect the current situation and stay away from the stadium. Stay home and watch it on iFollow where the game is available for £10 (season ticket holders please note that cup competitions are not included in your streaming package.

You can stream the game RIGHT HERE 

Full match coverage is available through all of our channels- see the game on iFollow, read a match report on the final whistle with a full Gallery right here on the website or Facebook, and follow our coverage on Twitter and Instagram throughout the evening.

See it all in iFollow

View more

Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT Oxford United 1 Bristol Rovers 1

U's take extra point after penalty shoot out in the EFL Trophy

6 October 2020

Oxford United came from behind to claim an extra point after a 1-1 draw in 90 minutes tonight  in the EFL Trophy. Trailing to a Tom Mehew goal, United hit back with a last-minute header from French striker Derick Osei Yaw after Jack Stevens' late penalty save had kept them in the game. That set up a penalty shoot out in which Cameron Brannagan, as usual, saw them home.

As is so often the case in this competition, there was another chance for United to give youngsters a chance, with four of the back five having come through the youth system. Kyran Lofthouse and Michael Elechi stepped up from the under-21 side and immediately looked at home in senior football as the two full backs, allowing another former Academy player Sam Long to move to centre half in front of Jack Stevens.

The only ‘outsider’, Rob Atkinson, is hardly a veteran but the inexperienced back line were still finding their feet as a unit when Rovers took the lead in just the 11th minute. A looping throw from the right wasn’t dealt with and Mehew drove the ball past Stevens for a well-taken opener.

Ed Upson drove a decent effort just wide soon after and although Marcus McGuane had fired the first chance of the game wide, United had rarely troubled visiting keeper Jordi van Steppershoef until the same player planted a shot from 20 yards straight into his gloves.

The U’s started to grow after that, with Rob Hall, Derick Osei Yaw and Mark Sykes all having efforts at goal around the half-hour mark, although Stevens rescued his side for the first time with a good save when Mehew threatened to score a second after a quick break from the visitors. The keeper also made two excellent saves just after the break to keep his side in the tie, the second from Cameron Hargreaves, son of onlooking former United skipper Chris.

Having won their opening group game against Chelsea U21s, United knew that a win would see them through and a draw would get them close, Hall's free kick almost drawing them level as they started to press and the same player dragging a second effort wide with 20 minutes left.

To be honest, just having a game of football with no external drama was looking nice - an assistant ref having to limp off with a groin injury doesn't count as weird these days. It became the talking point though when John Flynn, having limped off, waved from his new role as fourth official and ref Hair gave a penalty against sub Nico Jones for a sliding challenge with five minutes left. However, Stevens guessed right, saved the pen and justice was, probably, done.

United had been disjointed but never out of it and always tenacious and on 89 minutes were level when Osei Yaw got his head to a fine ball from the impressive Hall to level and send us to penalties, despite ten minutes of official injury time.

And so to penalties.

Leahy scored the first, Osei Yaw levelled. Stevens saved from Upson, Agyei coudn't make the most of it. Hare made it 2-1, McGuane levelled for 2-2. Hargreaves made it 3-2, Hall equalised. Baldwin was denied by the excellent Stevens, leaving Brannagan to secure the extra point with the decisive spot kick.

United, on five points, head for Walsall to finish the group. #LetFansIn to see it...

Report by Chris Williams, pictures Steve Daniels, stats by OPTA

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match